Monday, October 8, 2012

Naturalista | Tricks to staying Moisturized during Winter

Have you noticed it's getting cooler outside? Winter is on it's way to us. Even in the Southern region we are feeling the shift in weather and Mother Nature is making it known. Make sure you and your hair are both ready to battle the cold brittle weather that is to come. Here are some tricks of the trade to use towards these Winter months. The way to growth and health is moisturizing your hair. I can't stress enough how big moisturizing is. It's a task within itself to keep your hair nice and moisturized during the cold weather. I've seen it happen where the cold weather takes over your hairs progress. I, myself, am a victim of the cold break! I had to do a 2nd big chop Summer 2011 due to breakage during the winter and how I couldn't bounce back from it. So, don't make the same dumb mistakes I was making that's for sure lol. Let me be the one to make the mistakes and teach you the correct way of how things should flow. With that being said, let's get into it shall we?

Leave-In Conditioners & It's Values
Treat your hair with a Leave-In Conditioner of your choice. I never used a leave-in conditioner until 2 months from now. I never saw a reason for it, it looked like an added/unnecessary step to me. I never knew that a leave in condition would hydrate and protect your hair from the heat/sun as well as dry weather. It is a great balance of moisture added to your hair. It is very necessary in the winter time, especially since it is getting cooler. Take a look at the one I use.

Beautiful Textures Tangle Taming Leave-In Conditioner

Although they are just getting their name out there in the curly industry it is a great product to use. For one, the price is amazing! You can find this at your local Wal-Mart in the ethnic section for as little as $5.94. It is awesome for detangling and moisturizing your hair. I have 4b/4c textured hair. As you ladies know that texture is horrendous for detangling. This leave-in does WONDERS for my hair. I absolutely love it! Try it for yourself and let me know what you think :)

Never Leave w/ Wet Hair
Never leave the house with wet hair. With it getting cooler outside you do not, by any circumstance, want to walk out of the house with wet hair. It causes breakage that you wouldn't even believe. I have do this before thinking "Oh I'll just do a co-wash, dry my hair a little, then leave". Oh no, wrong! You want to make sure your hair is moisturized BUT you do not want to leave and walk into the cold air with wet hair. Close to dry is okay but not wet or damp.

Use LOC to Moisturize
Make sure you lock in your moisture using the LOC method. Meaning liquid, oil, cream/butter. You can do something as easily as making a concoction of the 3 in a spritz bottle to tackle everything at once or you can do like myself and do the steps one at a time. By following this method you are ensuring that you are locking in the moisture before heading out into the cold. When I make my concoction I put water, my fav conditioner or leave-in conditioner, and some oil. Give it a shimmy shake and wallah! Something so simple will keep you from having breakage in the end. Be sure to follow these steps. You hair will love you as much as you love your hair :)

Protecting Your Goodies
Not everyone is with the whole "Protective Styling" thing. I'm one that would rather wear my hair out. For those of you who have longer hair you are able to do protective styling with your own hair by doing Two-Strand Twists, Braids, or Bantu Knots. The ladies with the TWA's I suggest going the route of getting Kinky Twists, Senegalese Twists, Box Braids, or Yarn Braids. This way your hair is protected against the harsh cold weather and your hair stays nice and moisturized. Your ends are the oldest part of your hair and need the most care to survive or you will experience breakage thus causing you not to retain the length. With that being said, make sure you protect your hair accordingly. Even if this means using a beanie cap or scarfs. I know those come to aid on days that my hair is wet and/or damp and I can't wait any longer, I have to leave. I do not use heat on my hair so air dry it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...